Current privacy legislation sets out 13 principles that we must comply with when collecting, using and storing personal information. Personal information means information which tells us something about a specific individual. In summary, the principles are:
1) Only collect the personal information you need
2) Get it directly from the individual when possible
3) Be open about what you are going to do with it
4) Be fair about how you get it
5) Keep it secure
6) Let people see their own information
7) Correct it if the person thinks it is wrong
8) Make sure it is accurate before you use it
9) Dispose of it when you no longer need it
10) Only use it for the reason it was collected
11) Only share it if you have a good reason
12) Only send it overseas if it will be adequately protected
13) Only use unique identifiers when it is clearly allowed
How we collect and share your personal information
We collect and process personal information about you when:
- You or a member of your family communicate with us about becoming a resident or the services we offer. In those circumstances, we collect identifying and contact details (such as name, address and telephone numbers), as well as details of any authorised representatives. Financial information (such as if you are selling a house) is collected to help us to determine how best to guide you through the application process, together with any further information provided through correspondence with us.
- If you apply to become a resident at one of our villages, we will also collect information about your health and medical details that may be relevant to determining your application. Financial details required to process your application will be collected, including any Enduring Powers of Attorney. Any information about you and your living requirements (for instance; pets or allergies) and any other information provided through correspondence with us will be collected to help us with the process.
- If you are a resident at one of our villages, we will also collect personal information to enable us to deliver the best support and service for you such as your health and medical treatment details, and financial details (for banking and payment purposes).
- We may also collect and use information through CCTV footage for the purposes of security and safety.
- If you are an employee, contractor, investor, service provider or job applicant we may collect personal information provided by you for the purposes of commencing a business relationship or providing services. This may include educational qualifications and information about your past work history provided during an employment application, employees’ banking, tax and superannuation details and contact details and any personal information provided when you commence a business or service relationship with us.
Some of your personal information is held and stored in paper form and other personal information is held and stored electronically. We primarily use your personal information for the provision of our services to you.
The information may also be used for related purposes, or where required by law, including updating and enhancing our records, analysis to help us manage and improve our services (such as marketing and promotional organisations specifically instructed by us), statutory returns and regulatory compliance. When we record and use your personal information, we:
- Only access it when we have a good reason
- Only disclose or share what is necessary and relevant
- Don’t sell it to commercial organisations
We will ensure that any personal information about you is collected only from you, or from other individuals or organisations you have authorised us to collect the information from.
If you are physically or mentally incapable of providing consent but we believe it is in your best interests, we may also collect personal information about you from other organisations. If we do this, we will ensure we are doing so in compliance with the requirements of the privacy legislation.
We also collect resident and staff information, such as photographs, to use in marketing and promotional material for Karaka Pines Villages. In all instances, this will be collected on an opt-in basis and is completely voluntary.